In response to Kathy's comment on the lack of suggestions for how to manage the paper load (from the first part of the blog...), I'm sharing a tactic that I witnessed.
The teacher I observed last semester assigned the students numbers. And, making sure to not be too impersonal with the practice, she would collect papers by calling "1-10, please bring your homework up" etc. By putting them in numerical order right away, she could immediately see who was missing, and could very quickly mark down credit for those who turned it in. Process was done in minutes, and there was no going back, checking off each name, etc.
I found this when googling the longest word in the english language. Is this the same word in the book?
The word pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, also spelled pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanokoniosis, is defined as "a lung disease caused by the inhalation of very fine silica or quartz dust." At 45 letters, it is certainly the longest word ever to appear in a non-technical dictionary of English, the Oxford English Dictionary. However, there are strong indications that the word was coined by puzzler Everett Smith in 1935 as a hypothetical long word that could result from the protraction of medical terms. The actual name of the disease is pneumoconiosis, which is 14 letters long.
Amanda, regarding how some of the reading strategies can work in a history class, some of them can help bring the history to life for the students (e.g., role-play monologues and interviews). Some of the "builder" strategies like constructing main ideas would work for helping students understand the textbook better. Graphic organizers could be helpful when writing research papers. The "analyzer" strategies could help students identify potential bias in history texts and help them understand that just because something's in print doesn't mean it's true. It can aid them in becoming more critical readers of historical texts and evaluators of the source of information.
I agree that your focus is teaching history, but by using these strategies to help your students understand history, you are helping them become better readers.
>actually teaching students in the classroom who have a difficult time with reading in general.
Oh! I get you now! I agree with you and even for English teachers, working with students who have more extensive reading problems would be difficult in a classroom setting, so I can't imagine how content area teachers would do it.
In chapter 6, I question the real-world applications for these interventions in a classroom setting, especially at the "code breaker" stage. Students in that stage need more individualized instruction than a classroom setting can accomodate. But, I think that may be what the authors were getting at. Struggling readers need individualized "interventions" to help them beyond the classroom.
I definitly agree with Claudia Barlea about teachers caring about their student are more seccessful teachers and leave a longer impression on their students, however, sometimes, the teachers should put some limits as to howmuch they need to get involved in student's life and concerns. One simple reason is that the teachers themselves have their own life to deal with and having other studnet's problem might conflict with thier life. another reason would be that the teacher might be trying to do good to a student but just because he/she is not familiar with the student's family background whether ethnisity or just family problem, the teacher would unintentionally creat more problem to the student than solving them.
All these ideas on trying to make better readers out of adolescents, is great. They are really interesting and creative, but according to experts, none of them work. According to them if one is a bad reader by the end of 3rd grade, he will or she, will more than all likely remain one. If some one knows of anything that has actually been proven to work, it would be great hearing about it. What is a teacher supposesd to do? Try to reach kids, who are according to the experts, usually unreachable? Should the time and effort be wasted on them. by noah
14 Comments:
Did anyone else look up omphaloskepsis from the word list? "Contemplation of one's navel" according to the link from the page.
Another search provided, "Contemplating one’s navel as an aid to meditation." Probably more applicable here.
Hmm. I learn something new every single day.
In response to Kathy's comment on the lack of suggestions for how to manage the paper load (from the first part of the blog...), I'm sharing a tactic that I witnessed.
The teacher I observed last semester assigned the students numbers. And, making sure to not be too impersonal with the practice, she would collect papers by calling "1-10, please bring your homework up" etc. By putting them in numerical order right away, she could immediately see who was missing, and could very quickly mark down credit for those who turned it in. Process was done in minutes, and there was no going back, checking off each name, etc.
I found this when googling the longest word in the english language. Is this the same word in the book?
The word pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, also spelled pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanokoniosis, is defined as "a lung disease caused by the inhalation of very fine silica or quartz dust." At 45 letters, it is certainly the longest word ever to appear in a non-technical dictionary of English, the Oxford English Dictionary. However, there are strong indications that the word was coined by puzzler Everett Smith in 1935 as a hypothetical long word that could result from the protraction of medical terms. The actual name of the disease is pneumoconiosis, which is 14 letters long.
That is the word in the book. And, sounds made up to me! :)
Kristy, that's a fantastic suggestion! Thanks!
Amanda, regarding how some of the reading strategies can work in a history class, some of them can help bring the history to life for the students (e.g., role-play monologues and interviews). Some of the "builder" strategies like constructing main ideas would work for helping students understand the textbook better. Graphic organizers could be helpful when writing research papers. The "analyzer" strategies could help students identify potential bias in history texts and help them understand that just because something's in print doesn't mean it's true. It can aid them in becoming more critical readers of historical texts and evaluators of the source of information.
I agree that your focus is teaching history, but by using these strategies to help your students understand history, you are helping them become better readers.
>actually teaching students in the classroom who have a difficult time with reading in general.
Oh! I get you now! I agree with you and even for English teachers, working with students who have more extensive reading problems would be difficult in a classroom setting, so I can't imagine how content area teachers would do it.
In chapter 6, I question the real-world applications for these interventions in a classroom setting, especially at the "code breaker" stage. Students in that stage need more individualized instruction than a classroom setting can accomodate. But, I think that may be what the authors were getting at. Struggling readers need individualized "interventions" to help them beyond the classroom.
Jacqueline Aessa
Week 2- Response
I definitly agree with Claudia Barlea about teachers caring about their student are more seccessful teachers and leave a longer impression on their students, however, sometimes, the teachers should put some limits as to howmuch they need to get involved in student's life and concerns. One simple reason is that the teachers themselves have their own life to deal with and having other studnet's problem might conflict with thier life. another reason would be that the teacher might be trying to do good to a student but just because he/she is not familiar with the student's family background whether ethnisity or just family problem, the teacher would unintentionally creat more problem to the student than solving them.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Scott test
Testy Scotty
this is a test of the OTHER WAY
enough of the tests?
another test
All these ideas on trying to make better readers out of adolescents, is great. They are really interesting and creative, but according to experts, none of them work. According to them if one is a bad reader by the end of 3rd grade, he will or she, will more than all likely remain one. If some one knows of anything that has actually been proven to work, it would be great hearing about it. What is a teacher supposesd to do? Try to reach kids, who are according to the experts, usually unreachable? Should the time and effort be wasted on them. by noah
Post a Comment
<< Home