Thursday, September 22, 2005

Week 3: REFLECTION Ch. 8- Assessment

After reading ch. 8, in the Moore and Hinchman book, reflect on the assessment ideas and concepts that were discussed. What did you find valuable? What impact does this reading have on your thinking about teaching in your content area?

Remember our Rubric for Reflection:

-The reflection is thoughtful and focused.

-The reflection demonstrates an understanding of the reading.

-The reflection makes specific reference to the assigned reading.

-The reflection has been reread for fluency and accuracy.

-The writer considers the audience concerning the presentation of information.

-The reflection has a title/subject- ( using all capital letters)

-The writer uses appropriate format in regards to paragraph spacing.

Have a great week.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jacqueline Aessa

TITLE: HIGH-STAKES ASSESSMENTS

Assessment is very important in education. It helps determine how a student is progressing in the class and in the subject. This in return would help decide what type of adjustments are needed to take place to help the student improve; or may be just continue as it has been going on. However, I definitely don't agree with the single score type of assessment.

I defiantly agree with the educators AGAINST the single score type of assessment, (page 154), for deciding the student’s grade or educational future. I believe that assessments should take place throughout the scholastic year and not be based on a final exam at the end of the year. Students are not a machine that can memorize information and write them down on a final exam. Many circumstances affects the student such as sickness, family problems, peer problems, …etc, which in return would effect their performance in the exam.

From personal experience, in my Linear Algebra class, I had three exams that each carried 20% of my final grade, and in the second exam my mother was ill and I couldn’t study for it, this resulted in a grade of low “C”. Although I got an average of "A" on the rest of the exams and final, because of this single exam I got a final grade of "B".

I believe more on weekly quizzes. This would help the students to prepare daily and not only when the exam is due. This in return would help them READ their material daily and it will be lesser of a burden on them, than having all the chapters read at the end of the month for one exam.

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan where did you learn how to do this blog. The colors, the style the layout. Was it easy?

Robert A. Garr

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NEW READING, SAME INFORMATION

Reading Chapter 8 in the Moore and Hinchman text didn't present any new ideas to me, but it did reinforce beliefs that I currently hold. The main point that I completely agree with is the use of high-stakes assessments as a means for a grade or promotion. A couple of years ago, I read about Chicago Public Schools using the Iowa Test of Basic Skills as a means for promotion and was incensed. How can one exam determine whether a student gets promoted to the next grade? Does the work s/he did all year now suddenly become null and void? The good news is that starting this year, CPS will no longer use the Iowa Test and is choosing to test reading skills with three, low-stakes tests over the course of the school year. You can read more about it in the Sun-Times here. Of course, the drawback to the new tests is that it takes more time away from instructional time.

In the section on rubrics, I had one concern with the way the examples are formatted on pages 157 and 159. With the 4 point scale, students can easily see what a 4 point project or 1 point project will look like, but they don’t know what the difference is between a 4 or 3. I think it would serve the students better to have descriptions of each point and not just the highest and lowest points. Something like this may work better.


MISPRONUNCIATION VS. DIALECT

On page 160, the authors discuss using teacher-student conferences as a classroom-support assessment. I have had teachers in the past use this type of assessment, and I have to admit that it worked well for me. The teacher and I set out goals at the beginning of the semester which we could then focus on in our conferences. I know I’m a better writer because of them. I do have one caution regarding a comment made in the last paragraph on page 160. The authors say that you can check on mispronunciations, among other things, when you have your students read out loud. Be careful to acknowledge dialect pronunciations versus mispronunciations. While a student may same something differently from you, it does not necessarily mean it’s wrong. It could just be a dialect.


ASSIGNING ZEROES

In the section on grading, the authors discuss not assigning zeroes because “such a score statistically skews grades so low that recovery is difficult” (164). They suggest recording a 50 or 60 which is still a failing grade. I disagree with this because it is wildly unfair to students who actually do the work and earn a 50 or a 60 for another student to be given a 50 or 60 when they don’t even do the assignment. The answer for a zero skewing a grade lies in the next section on weights. If a student gets a zero on a homework assignment, that won’t affect their overall grade very much. But, if a student doesn’t turn in a major project or paper and gets a zero it, it will affect the grade and I believe it should. The question is, how much should it affect the grade? I would think it depends on the other assignments and what else the student is being graded on.

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

High Stakes Assessments-What a pile of ######!

This basically says it all (page 153), “ High-stakes assessments means that one test is used as the basis for important decisions. Individuals’ futures are at stake with such an assessment; much depends on performance with a particular test.” It amazes me that in this day and age we still have systems and people in place that will encourage these practices. It is bad enough that high-stakes testing does not take into account people’s different learning styles, which could directly influence their assessment abilities, but also influences the way curricula are designed. As the Board of Directors of the International Reading Association stated, (page 154) “Our central concern is that testing has become a way of controlling instruction as opposed to a way of gathering information to help students.” I have seen this happen time and time again and especially now that federal funding is linked to school assessments. As teachers, we would be negligent not to teach our students the skills to test well. I am not referring to pre-teaching the actual test in some way, but rather having knowledge of the skills required by the assessment and integrating the use of those skills through the different content areas when applicable. One example might be the interpretation of data using charts and graphs which is a skill students need to be able to use on state assessments. The point of assessments should be to assist teachers in planning curricula to address what the students need to know. Too often, high-stakes tests do not relate to what we should be trying to accomplish with students.
As I envision assessments, they should be a tool to see where students are in their knowledge of the subject area being taught. The score is not the prize at the end of the learning process, but it is rather the progress of learning on the part of the students that is my greatest concern. Seeing what students are learning and, on the other hand, what information is not coming across to them, is the key value of assessments. Based on the insights gained from a worthwhile assessment, I should then gauge the direction of instruction to meet the needs of those I teach.
Assessments involving demonstrations, performances and applications of concepts learned are far more valuable than objective exams on which students can guess or not really demonstrate true understanding of materials learned. These kinds of assessments are even more valuable when presented with well-developed rubrics that clearly convey expectations to the students.
When evaluating students, I am a proponent of including a student’s effort and class participation in the grading process. Understanding that students start at different levels within the same classroom, consideration must be given to their personal progress as well as their performance on a final comparative assessment.

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did I pass?

Assesment, I think this is one of the more valuable chapters. In our society we are looking for feedback on what we did. We beleive hardwork and talent should be rewarded. Assessment to me is giving the feedback to the students

After reading the chapter I thought about how grading helps both the teacher and the student realize where they are at in the class. Again, a major theme I have found is one size does not fit all and you need to be flexible and creative.

One of the demonstrations of this is the assigning of zeros, I agree this should be avoided.
I know the argument is that you don't want to punish those that try and get Ds by giving them the same grade as someone who has done it all. However I think you should give those students more consideration when grading--this sounds terrible but if someone is trying and failing then that should count for a bit more. Effort is important.

Its a slippery slope and it leads to grade inflation and people passing classes they really don't understand. However the alternative is students who are discouraged and don't try and don't participate.

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did I pass?

Assesment, I think this is one of the more valuable chapters. In our society we are looking for feedback on what we did. We beleive hardwork and talent should be rewarded. Assessment to me is giving the feedback to the students

After reading the chapter I thought about how grading helps both the teacher and the student realize where they are at in the class. Again, a major theme I have found is one size does not fit all and you need to be flexible and creative.

One of the demonstrations of this is the assigning of zeros, I agree this should be avoided.
I know the argument is that you don't want to punish those that try and get Ds by giving them the same grade as someone who has done it all. However I think you should give those students more consideration when grading--this sounds terrible but if someone is trying and failing then that should count for a bit more. Effort is important.

Its a slippery slope and it leads to grade inflation and people passing classes they really don't understand. However the alternative is students who are discouraged and don't try and don't participate.

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there are many useful ideas in chapter8. Diagnostic inventories was one of them. The getting to know you excercises with the questionnare on the back of card was fantastic. Hopefully students will tell why they like, or dont like reading. If it is known why one does not like it, perhaps it will be easier, to make your readings more student friendly. Asking point blank, "what can the teacher do to improve your reading?" serves a two pronged effect, one it will identify, a students need, secondly it shows individual concern on the teachers part. The classroom should be a fair and equatable, place and their grading strategies, goes a long way towards that. A student should be given every chance to prove that he does, indeed have the required knowledge or skill in a certain subject matter. It is the teachers job to give them that chance. Grades should be from a wide variety : tests, class projects, homework, etc.
The only problem with chapter 8 and all its strategies and techniqes, in trying to make adolescents better readers is: Sorry to say NOT ONE OF THEM HAS EVER BEEN PROVEN TO WORK. noah
o

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there are many useful ideas in chapter8. Diagnostic inventories was one of them. The getting to know you excercises with the questionnare on the back of card was fantastic. Hopefully students will tell why they like, or dont like reading. If it is known why one does not like it, perhaps it will be easier, to make your readings more student friendly. Asking point blank, "what can the teacher do to improve your reading?" serves a two pronged effect, one it will identify, a students need, secondly it shows individual concern on the teachers part. The classroom should be a fair and equatable, place and their grading strategies, goes a long way towards that. A student should be given every chance to prove that he does, indeed have the required knowledge or skill in a certain subject matter. It is the teachers job to give them that chance. Grades should be from a wide variety : tests, class projects, homework, etc.
The only problem with chapter 8 and all its strategies and techniqes, in trying to make adolescents better readers is: Sorry to say NOT ONE OF THEM HAS EVER BEEN PROVEN TO WORK. noah
o

3:08 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

CHAPTER 8 REFLECTION
When I first read this chapter, I thought it seemed unnecessary, as the assessment models given were not out of the ordinary. But, after reflecting back, I realized that these assessments need to be specified like this, for those students who struggle with reading (I had to remind myself that that is the type of student that I am learning to teach to in this class). As an English teacher, I can see myself referring back to a chapter like this when I have students who struggle with reading in my class. I will hesitate when creating assessments, allowing myself time to consider all of my students and all of their abilities.

I specifically can utilize the information on page 168 about the resubmission of writing assignments. (I was confused as to why they would include this example under the extra credit portion, if step four says that “if revisions are appropriate, the teacher then enters the original grade in the grade book and gives the rubric to the student along with the final draft.” Shouldn’t there be some benefit, with regards to extra credit or boosting a grade for the rewrite, considering the textbook’s presentation and perspective? Also, I would adjust their last step where they suggest providing the rubric to the student after all is done… I think this should go with the introduction of the assignment.)

I have had professors who allow, say, 1 rewrite to replace a grade and this is helpful. It takes the pressure off the first paper, allows the student to figure out what the teacher wants (which, isn’t this half the battle a lot of times?), and reinforces the process of writing and revising. It creates a bit of comfort when diving into a paper when you’re unsure if you are going down the right path.

ASSESSMENT ON THE COLLEGE LEVEL
On another note, I think it is interesting that a lot of what we learn about teaching is not implemented on the collegiate level. I realize that professors are seen as experts in their given field and are not necessarily required to cater to every learning style or personal situation. However, is it not a contradiction to teach teachers of elementary and secondary schools to utilize different methods, cater to different learning styles, and create varied assessments when the students then will not encounter that should they choose to continue their education at the university level?

Does this not create an inequality? With the advantage going to those who are good test-takers and learn well from lectures? (This, as the book mentions, already happens with state-mandated testing, and again through college-entrance exams.) I have to note that a lot of my education professors do incorporate multiple kinds of assessments with rubrics, and some of my content area professors include participation and rewrites. However, there are plenty out there that seem to do the 2 exams only. This seems to imply to me that our education system believes that only up to a certain level do we need to teach to the diversity of the learning community.

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reflections on Hinchman Chapter 8 (Classroom Assessment)
My primary and secondary education was in Malaysia. The educational system was heavy on single or multiple tests as the sole assessment tool. I generally did well in this system. Until I came to the United States I was unaware of any other form of evaluation. My first in college was a learning experience in many ways. I could not believe that I could receive credit for homework. Homework back in Malaysia was merely the tool to prepare for “The Test”. I found this system very lenient. In fact I had an uncomfortable feeling that the American system was inferior to Malaysia. Gradually I came to appreciate the American system. In fact I realized, in some ways it was a harder system. In Malaysia one could slack the entire semester and as long as one spend a few all-nighters memorizing facts and thus ace the final exams than one was assured of a good grade. In American system one has to be on one’s toe from the get go. Everything one did in a class was pertinent towards the grade. Homework, class participation and presentation demands one is constantly at work on any given course. In fact one the hardest things I found about the American system, was the constant expectation to talk and present material in front of big audiences. In Malaysia I did not have to do any of this. I could study (or memorize) and get good grades. Thus test-based assessment not only favors the good test takers but also introduces an inherent flaw. That is it fails to promote presentation and participation skills, and true understanding of material. This lesson I learned the hard way, by falling on my face. I resented being expected to make presentation and participate in class discussion. I wanted to go back to my comfort zone. Let please memorize the material. Give me a really hard test and I will show you that I am a good student!
Shentil

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home