Thursday, September 22, 2005

Week 3: Respond To Others

Use this space to engage in "Teacher-Talk" regarding our class reflections. What issues or ideas were brought up that moved you to question, consider or re-consider your thinking about teaching and learning in your content area classes?

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

RE: Teachers, Please Go Over Your Tests!!!!

I completely agree with Anastasia's comment about learning occurring when going over mistakes on a test. I, too, have been frustrated by the answer sheet and not knowing what questions I got wrong and what the correct answer is.

On page 168 of our reading, the authors discuss giving students the opportunity to retest or resubmit for extra credit. I am observing a teacher now who allows her students to correct quizzes and resubmit them for a grade up to a 70. While this doesn't allow students a chance to earn an "A," it does allow them to raise their grade and learn by doing the corrections. Also, I think this is fair to the students who earned an "A" or "B" when taking the quiz the first time.

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jacqueline Aessa

Title: agree with Anastasia regard revised tests.

I definitely agree with Anastasia regard teachers going over the test and explaining why some answers were wrong. That will help the students recognize the mistake and learn from it. My best experience in English class was in Composition English II because my Anna Harington, actually gave us the opportunity to revise my paper and give it back to her and she would correct it again and if I had done a better job my grad would go higher. I think that was the class that I most learned English language from it.

My teacher in my current math class is doing the same thing and by going over my mistakes in exercise I could recognize and UNDERSTAND the mistakes I did and I am learning not to repeat them in next exercise.

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reflections concerning Class Participation

I am a strong advocate for including class participation as part of a final grade. I believe it is especially important within smaller class sizes. It is important that students learn to cooperate and contribute within a group setting. I disagree that students should not be forced to participate. I believe that if you have a classroom environment of respect students will not be embarrassed. This can be a excellent opportunity to work with students on their speaking, reading and presentation skills.

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reflection to class participation.

I as a student hated class participation. My biggest gripe against it was that I thought it was a popularity contest and not a true measure of passion for the subject.

Do you reward someone who is naturally talkitive and punish a student thats culture promotes obedience and being quiet.
A teacher can be just as biased as a standardized test when assessing students.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

RESPONSE TO:
Jenny Marano
CONTINUAL UPDATES

I loved the idea you provided regarding the written feedback in the math class (I forget what you called it, and these windows do not allow me to have both that reflection window and this one open at once!...) What a great way to provide some writing and reading experience in a math setting, as well as keeping the communication going between the student and teacher. I could see this turning into a math journal exercise as well...

4:13 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

FURTHER RESPONSE TO:
Jenny Marano
CONTINUAL UPDATES
...That teacher called the math writing feedback "Section Summaries," to clarify my last repsonse.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

A QUESTION ABOUT OUR LESSON PLAN- WEAVING FROM CHAPTER 4

I am doing the Panomime/Tableaux choice for my lesson where we weave a reading exercise into our content area. I have no problem doing the panomime... however, just out of curiosity, I never found tableaux in the text... can anyone speak up as to what this is and what it entails? Thanks!

4:34 PM  
Blogger Susan A. Garr said...

Reading should be wholistic. Engage intererst through props and drama. Supply cultivate extrinsic motivations to inpire academic reading, and life reading.

In order for reading to have meaning the student or reader must have an active role.

Teaching reading should have differnet strategies that appeal for all students.

Images and role play can make learning more authentic.

Purpose of reading is to gain knowledge.

Students are unaware of reading process we must help them become aware.

We need to engage readers by offering connections.

Use inquiry

Students need to take ownership of their reading. Active readers.
Make them aware that they read all the time. What kind of reading do they do?

Reading serves a purpose. Kids are already reading we just need to support them in experiencing a variety of texts.

Reading, i.e. comprehension, depends on context, process and owndership of text...We also need to learn more abouthow to read visual texts as well as represent what we read/know in images.

We need to read for a purpose, some/most of what we read should be our choice, stemming from our own questions regarding the quieries of life. Asking my own questions motivates me to read and want to find out more about what I am interested in...Inquiry is the key to learning and critical thinking.

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In response to Amanda Fulton(allowing students to re-do quizzes and tests).


As teachers we must keep in mind why tests are given. Tests are given to assess the knowledge the students have gained. The beauty of allowing re-dos is that we can use the assessment tool as a teaching tool. That is, re-dos can be used to fill in the gaps in knowledge of certain students. After all we as teachers are trying to teach students. Why not use the tests as tools to further enhance the student’s knowledge. Students who did not do well in certain questions will now have the opportunity to re-visit the material and perhaps learn from their mistakes.


Shentil

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jacqueline Aessa


TOP-DOWN THEORY

I definitely agree with the Top-down theorists (page 35) regard giving the big picture of a topic or a reading and then go in details. I think this is one of the best approaches because it does not dictate to students what they need to learn from the beginning but rather students will be given the big picture and they would try to analyze it themselves.

A good recent example was in one of my education classes we watched this video of a teacher who used this kind of approach. He first asked them a simple question which was, ‘if I cut this space by a plane, how many pieces of space would I have?’ and all students answered two. He started asking them about more planes cutting the space and the students started giving him some conditions and rules that these spaces has to satisfy in order to have a formula which would tell us the number of space pieces when cut by a number of plane. So he started with a general topic and ended up extracting from students the geometric and algebraic formulas.

The teacher in this example used the questioning teaching method (page 55). He started by asking them questions, and one thing lead to another.

I also like a lot Vygotskian approach of teaching. You let the student watch you- he assists you- you assist him and then you watch him. This type of approach helps saving a lot of time. The student is not expected to guess of find on his own the method of doing thing, but he does it as he learned it OR to do it in a new way that he extract through his learning process

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jacqueline Aessa


TOP-DOWN THEORY

I definitely agree with the Top-down theorists (page 35) regard giving the big picture of a topic or a reading and then go in details. I think this is one of the best approaches because it does not dictate to students what they need to learn from the beginning but rather students will be given the big picture and they would try to analyze it themselves.

A good recent example was in one of my education classes we watched this video of a teacher who used this kind of approach. He first asked them a simple question which was, ‘if I cut this space by a plane, how many pieces of space would I have?’ and all students answered two. He started asking them about more planes cutting the space and the students started giving him some conditions and rules that these spaces has to satisfy in order to have a formula which would tell us the number of space pieces when cut by a number of plane. So he started with a general topic and ended up extracting from students the geometric and algebraic formulas.

The teacher in this example used the questioning teaching method (page 55). He started by asking them questions, and one thing lead to another.

I also like a lot Vygotskian approach of teaching. You let the student watch you- he assists you- you assist him and then you watch him. This type of approach helps saving a lot of time. The student is not expected to guess of find on his own the method of doing thing, but he does it as he learned it OR to do it in a new way that he extract through his learning process

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home