You can choose to respond to your classmates' reflection writings at the blog site, or stay tuned for an invite to our new Read301Fall05 Yahoo Group. Your invitation should be coming very soon.
Knit-wits weave their way onto the Web The question swirled like steam over a mug of tea. Of course, most knew the answer - yes - because they recognized Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, who writes humorous essays about knitting from her home in Canada. Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a ##free## site/blog. It pretty much covers ##free## related stuff.
This is an excellent book and full of very useful information, but as teachers how can we keep this at hand and in mind so we are actually able to use it. Do teachers really use all these techniques or do they quickly forget and rely on a few strategies they are comfortable with. Has anybody developed at system to keep all these techniques at hand and in a format that relates them to certain teaching difficulties so they can be used appropriately? Maybe this is an area where some software needs to be developed if it is not already available.
Scott, I completely agree with you. Between this class and 303, I'm getting a lot of great ideas, but I'm certain that I'll forget them. Keeping the texts handy will help, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed.
The only thing I think of is some advice I got somewhere else (how's that for specific!), if I can take just three ideas and implement them now, that's good. Next year, I can implement 3 more, get rid of ones that don't work, etc. Over the years, I can build up an arsenal of strategies that work for me.
RE: Scott Matthews, Help!, and Kathy Martin, re: Help!
I think this is the motivation behind the teaching strategies notebook that will be due at the end of the semester (I have the same assignment in my 307 class). It will be ammunition when we are scrambling and overwhelmed... methods/strategies that are already organized, already read-over (at some point), and already selected by us (we know we like them). I am just hoping this lessens the daunting task of utilizing all this good stuff.
In response to Jacqueline Aessa, I also agree with the instructional sequences, or what i should say i think they can be helpful, in getting kids to have a better understands of what they are reading. The only problem with some of the sequences is that they tend to conrtol independent thinking. A theme or a main idea ot one student may be someting totally different to another. Example, in Mice or Men the book states "It deals with two mens pursit of their dream to own a small farm" While i have not read that book in a long time, I thought it dealt with the realationship of the little guy, trying to exert control over the big one. A book means differnt things to different people, a teacher should not try to convince a student of what it means, but should have the student agrue persusaviley, in writing and speech, on what he/she thinks that meaning is. by noah, is their a spell check on this, becuase mine is not working. I also blogged in on week 4, for my reflection, sorry about the confusion. by noah
In response to Gretchen Yes Gretchen. We are truly uninformed. Can anyone remember the names of the women astronauts who died in the shuttle accident? Yet we know how Tom Cruise feels about his new wife Shentil
From Jacqueline Aessa Title: uninformed students Re : Shentil and Gretchen
I definitly agree that we are very much uninformed in our school, however I see it a lot as a lack of educaiton and teachers who are unable to make reading interesting and related to ouside world. I am planning to every now and then I will ask my students to come up with an articl who would be related to science or any thing they like to share with class so they will have diversity in class
7 Comments:
Knit-wits weave their way onto the Web
The question swirled like steam over a mug of tea. Of course, most knew the answer - yes - because they recognized Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, who writes humorous essays about knitting from her home in Canada.
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a ##free## site/blog. It pretty much covers ##free## related stuff.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Help!!!!
This is an excellent book and full of very useful information, but as teachers how can we keep this at hand and in mind so we are actually able to use it. Do teachers really use all these techniques or do they quickly forget and rely on a few strategies they are comfortable with. Has anybody developed at system to keep all these techniques at hand and in a format that relates them to certain teaching difficulties so they can be used appropriately? Maybe this is an area where some software needs to be developed if it is not already available.
re: Help!!!
Scott, I completely agree with you. Between this class and 303, I'm getting a lot of great ideas, but I'm certain that I'll forget them. Keeping the texts handy will help, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed.
The only thing I think of is some advice I got somewhere else (how's that for specific!), if I can take just three ideas and implement them now, that's good. Next year, I can implement 3 more, get rid of ones that don't work, etc. Over the years, I can build up an arsenal of strategies that work for me.
RE: Scott Matthews, Help!, and Kathy Martin, re: Help!
I think this is the motivation behind the teaching strategies notebook that will be due at the end of the semester (I have the same assignment in my 307 class). It will be ammunition when we are scrambling and overwhelmed... methods/strategies that are already organized, already read-over (at some point), and already selected by us (we know we like them). I am just hoping this lessens the daunting task of utilizing all this good stuff.
In response to Jacqueline Aessa, I also agree with the instructional sequences, or what i should say i think they can be helpful, in getting kids to have a better understands of what they are reading. The only problem with some of the sequences is that they tend to conrtol independent thinking. A theme or a main idea ot one student may be someting totally different to another. Example, in Mice or Men the book states
"It deals with two mens pursit of their dream to own a small farm" While i have not read that book in a long time, I thought it dealt with the realationship of the little guy, trying to exert control over the big one. A book means differnt things to different people, a teacher should not try to convince a student of what it means, but should have the student agrue persusaviley, in writing and speech, on what he/she thinks that meaning is. by noah, is their a spell check on this, becuase mine is not working. I also blogged in on week 4, for my reflection, sorry about the confusion. by noah
In response to Gretchen
Yes Gretchen. We are truly uninformed. Can anyone remember the names of the women astronauts who died in the shuttle accident? Yet we know how Tom Cruise feels about his new wife
Shentil
From Jacqueline Aessa
Title: uninformed students
Re : Shentil and Gretchen
I definitly agree that we are very much uninformed in our school, however I see it a lot as a lack of educaiton and teachers who are unable to make reading interesting and related to ouside world. I am planning to every now and then I will ask my students to come up with an articl who would be related to science or any thing they like to share with class so they will have diversity in class
Post a Comment
<< Home