Friday, October 28, 2005

WEEK 8: REFLECTION WRITING on Allen Chapters 4&5

Share your thinking on what you have read. Don't forget to check out the Appendix! Good Stuff.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristy said...

REFLECTION- ALLEN CHAPTERS 4 & 5

I loved these last two chapters. I think I dog-eared half the pages with things I can definitely use in my classroom in the future. (I eventually stopped, knowing that I would definitely be referring to this part of this book during my teaching.) Allen did a great job of providing the reader with practical applications to back up her theory. Every content area was covered and I even found myself, as an English person, underlining those suggestions from the other areas that I could use as well in a team-teaching situation. Giving specific books for the classroom libraries helps so much, as I have found myself wondering how to find those books that are applicable but not texts or classic fiction.

One thing that I thought of while reading about the classroom libraries was how this bookstore around the corner reviews books. Every so often, as you are browsing through the shelves, there will be a colorful, hand-written, index card-size review of the book taped to the shelf by that book. Then it will say, "Bob recommends The Siege." I've also noticed that the reviews change often. What a fun way to encourage reading. I thought this would be great to implement with the students in a classroom library, and when the reviews need to be changed, keep the past ones available in a catalog somewhere with easy access if someone wants to read a peer review of a book before choosing it.

Specifically, I am going to steal the "Quips, Clips, and Snips" on page 73 from Adams. The Creating Language section (page 76) is critical for the different ethnicities and cultures found in the classroom. What better way to make it real for the students than to have them explore their own use of language?

Also on page 99, I can definitely use the Assessing Integration and Meaningful-Use Instruction guidelines. I really reacted positively to this format and approach. I think it wraps up the ideology well.

I was somewhat disappointed that Allen spent so much time on the SAT in Chapter 4. I realize that this is what is of concern to a lot of parents, teachers, and students, but I felt like she was going against her notion of involving "integration and meaningful use of words, repetition of words in multiple contexts, and opportunities for students to see and hear words as part of a rich reading program." (96)

I could go on and on. As simplistically as this book is presented, I think it teaches strategies in a meaningful and authentic way for teachers—don’t we need to learn that way, too?!

"When you do what you've always done, you'll be where you've always been." (109)

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An Excellent Reference Tool for the Future

Words, Words, Words by Janet Allen will be on hand in my lesson planning from now on. Chapters 4 and 5 continue to provide a wealth of ideas and strategies for teaching language acquisition. Chapter 4 rings true to my beliefs in that reading in any form is the greatest tool for language development. I especially found interesting her discussion of the different content areas and informational reading.

Chapter 5 was a great way to end this book by introducing alternative forms of evaluation other than the traditional standard vocabulary assessments. I am frequently looking for new ways of evaluating my students’ progress that can be more meaningful and insightful to the difficulties they are experiencing.

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jacqueline Aessa
Chapter 34 Janet Allen

Title: School and Classroom libraries

I definitely agree with Allen about having a classroom library that contains different kinds of fiction book that might be of interest to students. It is very hard for students who are still growing up to just read text book related to the subject. After a while the text book will be nothing but a burden.
Also having books that student don’t have to read would be of more interested simply because they don’t have to do it. It is their choice to read it and from personal experience when a book is on a shelf and I am not forced to read it, there is a bigger chance for me to pick it up and read it than having a book to read as an assignment.

I am actually intending to have a shelf in my classroom for books that would be stories about science fictions as well as for art or other interests. Moreover, this will to build up a stronger relationship between me and the student since I will have a reason to ask him/her about the book and have a conversation other than the homework assignment or class work.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home