Week 10: Reflection on Laurie Frank's Caring Classroom
You are to post a reflection for each chapter read. What did you think about the philosophy that makes up the ideas behind experiential learning? What about the ideas of cooperative groups? What about building community in the classroom? Not the first time you heard it, is it? What say you oh wise one?
8 Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
REFLECTION ON FRANK CHAPTERS
The ideas behind the philosophy presented in the book seem like a reaction to the overly structured tendency to manage classrooms “more efficiently.” This isn’t to say that I’m not on-board-- I am of the camp that thinks there is much more to learn in a school setting than the subject matter measured on standardized tests. The layout of these chapters and the in-depth study of the development of the group go beyond most of what I have been taught about simple group work.
These ideas are even more fuel for the fire against high-stakes testing.
There are always pros and cons to group work, and in some of my education courses, I have been required to reflect on the experience. It usually is generic for me-- I can see the ideas behind the requirement, but normally it’s about getting the project done, most people pulling their weight, maybe a few don’t, and the outcome is usually average. There is a rarely passionate discussion. No one tends to get into the process; everyone seems to be of the consensus that we are all bogged down, and let’s just get this requirement done.
I think that this is a direct reflection of how the teacher mediates the group work, however.
With the way these chapters discussed cooperative group work, I think it has a place in the classroom. This is so directly in-line with what I am observing for my 307 course that it’s amazing. To backtrack, what I observed LAST semester was a young teacher who employed a lot of great techniques and strategies. She was very flexible, creative, and theoretically was doing it right. And the kids responded by staying interested in her projects, etc. They were learning, but it was a quiet, subdued, controlled environment.
Now, what I am observing is a caring, passionate veteran teacher who is very traditional in her strategies, but has such a connection to the kids. She’s like a mother-- and they really react to it. She’s so positive, but so harsh when she needs to be (her lines are set and they know exactly where they are). It’s almost like you can see the students developing socially before your eyes. And they learn too… but there are times where I find myself thinking that they are not being taught the subject matter as much as they could be. (I could be over generalizing, as I have only been there 2 days… and from what this teacher has told me, they do quite well with the subject matter. I’d be curious to see this class’s scores compared to the one mentioned before.)
However, there are many things that I criticize, only to find out that she has a motive behind it that the students are aware of… for example, she allowed a student to grade a math test, and then she went over the wrong answers. There were 1 or 2 questions that had been incorrectly marked wrong for a few students (“That’s what I have and she marked it wrong!”)… she paid little attention to this situation, and I was hurting for the kid inside. How unfair. BUT, it turns out that his writing was illegible, the grader asked for clarification, and then it was corrected, as he knew the right answer. Later, the teacher clued me in that she purposefully does not overtly acknowledge these problems-- “They have to fight for their grade. They have to want it and feel that it’s important. This is life. If they aren’t willing to fight for it when they are right, then so be it. And they know this.” She’s also trying to help this student work on his aggression. Hmmm.
RESPONSE TO MY OWN REFLECTION
After reading everyone else's blogs, and rereading the instructions, I realized that I did not specifically react to each chapter. However, everyone else seemed to do a sufficient job and I feel that mine is applicable as well. :)
Chapter1
The concepts of Outward Bound, the Adventure Integrated Model, and the Experiential Learning Cycle in chapter 1 by the author are intriguing and should have a place in education. But these ideas have one thing in common. The assumption that education in America is about educating our population. Unfortunately this is the ideal. The reality on the other hand is education in his country is to training the future employees of various corporations. In a sense we too are working for the capitalist. The capitalist requires labor for his many enterprises. We as teachers are responsible to provide the trained labor for the capitalist. Thus we can discusses multiple intelligence, differentiated learning and wanting to discarding standardized tests. But the reality is we are training automatons for the capitalist labor force. Until that aspect of education changes a lot of this discussion is moot. Don’t get me wrong I don’t like the system. I left my job because I did not want to work for the capitalist but the reality is we are the trainers of the future labor force. The needs of the capitalist are very narrow and specific and thus we as teacher have to hone our teaching to fit the need of the capitalist.
Chapter 2
By the time I was in my junior year in college I had a study group of men from various backgrounds. We came to together to study but found something beyond merely completing home assignment and projects. We found friendship despite the fact each of us was from different ethnic, cultural and religious backgrounds. We formed bonds that have lasted to date. Yes, we did form a community within the campus community. We knew we could depend on each other to get through school. Most of us were from other countries and thus we became like the families that we had left behind. I would certainly like to create such a community within my classroom. I believe we, as teachers can be instrumental in building such a community. Such a community would be instrumental in ensuring most if not all members would have a measure of success
Chapter 3 This was a great chapter in building the learning community. Based on our own experience we know teachers who are open to and positive towards students build a great learning community. All of us have experienced teachers who seemed not to like students. These are the kind of teachers that have establish “teachers centered learning environment” that is detrimental to a truly learning community. A learning community implies participation by all members of the community. The chapter offers 3 tools to help create this safe environment. One “full value contract” establishes norms; two “challenge by choice” gives each individual control over how they want to participate. Finally, “goal setting” provides a structure for behavioral and academic goals. Taken together these are powerful tools to build a learning community
Chapter 4
Disruptive students are part of any class. While there may be good reason why students are disruptive it is essential for a teachers to establish some basic rules of conduct. High among the are the criteria is respect Respecting fellow student, respecting the teacher and last perhaps the most important is to respect oneself. If students have respect for themselves than the other two components are easy to implement. I believe a lot of young people today are crying out for structure. A teacher who establishes a strong structure will minimize disruptive behavior. This chapter is very helpful in giving ideas to establishing this structure.
This chapter also gives some great "ice breaker" activities. Some of the activities that are mentioned seem like a lot of fun to do. I really like Group Bingo because it gets the students involved with one another. I think this type of "getting-to-know-you" activity is better than just being coupled up with someone and asking very basic questions. It seems like Group Bingo would be fun to do because of the untraditional questions.
Shentil
Jacqueline Aessa
Title: The Caring Classroom
I really liked the article. It was very interesting and true. Classroom is not just a place where we learn about a subject, but about communicating and learning life skills as well. This is because we, as human being, are not a machine to put information, like a computer, but we actually have feelings which some times controls our actions and behavior.
I totally agree with the author when she said “the assembly-line approach to school, work and life in general is a Titanic on the sea of a changing social order.” It is so hard to separate outside life from the classroom. Therefore, as a future teacher I would try to get my student not only learn math, but also to learn group work and how to tolerate student whom they don’t agree with.
I am far from the idea of controlling the class group; however I do like to have order in class. Otherwise, student will take advantage and would not pay attention. I agree with John Dewey to have experimental class environment, but on the other hand some guidance to do the experiment is fundamental. It will help student discover the information or whatever they are experimenting on and instead of spending time trying to figure out the rules they would actually try another experiment.
Jacqueline Aessa
Title: continue of chapters 1,2,3,4
Chapter 1: I enjoyed reading the multiple intelligences part on page 5 about the animals school. Although it might seem hard to satisfy each student’s intelligence, we as future teacher should encourage and motivate the students to find what do they like best and guide them through it. I am not good in writing nor in reading but I love mathematic. Does this make me less intelligence than everyone else? NO I think math is hard, but that is where I am strong. I had a great teacher who encouraged me through it and advised me to continue with it. Now I am going to be a MATH teacher, isn’t that great??? :)
Chapter 2: I totally agree with the author when she said “the assembly-line approach to school, work and life in general is a Titanic on the sea of a changing social order.” It is so hard to separate outside life from the classroom. Therefore, as a future teacher I would try to get my student not only learn math, but also to learn group work and how to tolerate student whom they don’t agree with.
I personally don’t like group work as much but that is because I was taught at earlier stages of my life were to do things individually. Now I see the importance of working in group, for example the handbook that we are doing, I could have done it by myself but I think working with the my other classmates is really beneficiary.
Chapter 3: I liked the idea of having students share what they are learning with their community. At TAFT high school, and I believe at every SPS students have to complete 40 hours of community work in order to graduate. Moreover, they will have to reflect on it and write a one page about their experience. I think this is a great idea because it introduce the students to their community and to volunteering work which they might not do on their own.
Chapter 4: we really don’t live in a perfect world to expect perfect classroom. Form my personal experience wile doing my clinical, one of the time while I was teaching the 9th grade algebra honors class, the students just started talking and the class was so loud that no one was paying me any attention except a couple. The cooperating teacher started hushing them no one was listening to her either. all of a sudden I found myself talking very loudly and explained to them that I was there to teach them and not waist time. I went for about five minutes explaining to them that I was there too to learn how to teach. By the end of my speech every one was silent. After that class the student did pay attention when I spoke and as they would get louder talking all I had to do was to stop from talking and they would stop talking because they knew that I would not continue unless everyone is listening.
Also after that occasion, I chose my battles because students are active, so if we are doing a group work I will not pick on each student talking but I will just go around and make sure they are working on their problems.
I am far from the idea of controlling the class group; however I do like to have order in class. Otherwise, student will take advantage and would not pay attention. I agree with John Dewey to have experimental class environment, but on the other hand some guidance to do the experiment is fundamental. It will help student discover the information or whatever they are experimenting on and instead of spending time trying to figure out the rules they would actually try another experiment.
from noah clarke on the caring classroom. On alfie kohn comments on the caring classroom. What does kohn mean? Is it important that teachers and students care for eachother in the classroom? Of course not. The teacher should concentrate on his job, that is teaching. A teacher may teach 100 different students a day, what he should care about is teaching them. Not manking an a emotional bond with them. As for her views on community, they are absured. Community means were you live and who you live next to. On Deweys view of education. I often wrestle with thosed ponderables my self. But is it possible that eduction be truly useful? I slaved, learning math, but never used most of it, but i did learn the value of conquering a disability. That is a lesson that every student can learn, overcaoming a challenge. Perhaps the U.S. should adopt a more Western European education. Most students who do not make high marks(most of them dont) for High School, are sent to trade schools. Students who do poorly when the are young, usually dont go to college, because their are so few of them. College is reserved for students who actually deserve it. On kurt han........ while tenacity, undefetabile spirit, enterprising curiosity, readiness for sensible self denial are qualities admired by Nazis and other societys, that is not in my view the foremost task of eductation. Perhaps, critical thinking, and communication skills are overated. On Susan Kovalik Are there only eight brain-compatible elements? Are students not to prepare for exams? What does she mean "life in the real World"? Should i assume that there is another World, perhaps a fake world? What threats, Physical, emotional, are they part of the "
real world" or are they part of the other world? On alfie khon. The united states is not in spite of kohns belief, a participatory democracy. It is better called a representative democracy. (althogh it certainly does not represent the vast majority of americans) The community approach is not the "real World". It does not take a village. We live in a society that places a great value, on how much money one or one does not have. They are not expected or for the most part to share their personal wealth, with the village or community. How does a teacher give a student respnsibilty, if they cant set down rules for behavior? On Jeanne Gibbs Is this the end of competition ? Will tests stop be given? Can the sats be given as a group test? Is this the end of individualism, of capitilism? What about hard work, what about study more, what about hire a tutor, what about do it for you self,? closing comments: where is the compelling evidence, where is any evidence of any thing that was written in these articles. Do any of these strategies work, if so how come examples were not given? Did theses writers pratice what they preach. noah c clarke
The Caring Classroom
Chapter 1
I am in favor of outward-bound opportunities and I think it is very beneficial for students to be able to learn in as many forms as possible. At times it is hard to have these experiences due to time restraints. Challenging students to extend themselves is always important, but they must understand that failure or limited success can also be growth and positive. The most impotant ideas in this chapter are the community in the classroom – this is basic to creating a sense of equality and value for each member.
Chapter 2
This was a great read. I had never looked at the classroom in terms of developmental stages. Franks thoughts on group developments it relates to the classroom are extremely insightful.. As a teacher and having classes I will be looking and trying to be more aware of certain chacteristics within my classes. I will definitely be rereading this slowly and making my own adjustments within my classes.
Chapter 3
Another good chapter. I really like the ideas on cooperation, sense of community and caring for each and all within a class. But I especially liked the part on goal setting. I teach a class with at-risk students based on the idea of goal setting. As a class and as individuals I think it is important for students do look at their live s on these terms and these are concepts most students through high school cannot relate to until they reach their senior year and are faced with decisions about their future.
Chapter 4
This had some good techniques for cooperation Issues and skills. Things I will be looking at employing in the future.
This is one book I think I should read more from.
Post a Comment
<< Home