Jacquleine Aessa, I was not sure where to post this for others, so I am putting this here.
Title: The Man who loved number only by Paul Hoffman
A great online video that is only 53 minutes. Check it out it is really worth watching. The website is http://www.vega.org.uk/video/programme/60
It is actually a lecture by Paul Hoffman ( the author) who talks about his book “The man who loved number only” Paul talks about the great mathematician Paul Erdos. Paul Erdos was born in 1913. His parents were both math professors. When he was born, both of his older sisters died of a diseas. As a result his mother didn’t let him go out until he was 10 years. Erdos actually taught himself how to read and write and he fell in love with number. In his older ages,
Paul Erdos never got married, or had any other family, he actually never had intimate relationship simply because he didn’t want to waist any time. He dedicated his life to solve math problems and proofs only. It was a friend of Erdos that asked Paul Hoffman to write about Erdos life story. Hoffman followed Erdos for four months and documented his life. The result was his book “The man who loved number only” Hoffman talked about Erdos great work and how he went during his day.
I don’t like watching bibliography, but this one was really worth watching, not for math students only but for any passionate person who loves his/her subject enormously.
Jacqueline aessa I was not sure where to post this for extra credit, so I am posting it here.
I have just finished a research paper about math anxiety and learning styles. From my result I found that there is no correlation between math anxiety and learning styles. More over I found that most students at a college level are stronger in reading and writing learning style.
If you are interested, send me an email and I will email you a copy of my research. Or if I was told where to post as an attachment on Blog, I will be happy to do it
In math, I would recommend to my students to read their text and underline the statements that are relevant. Also, write examples to the side of the text and to draw as much as possible since the graph can make them visualize the problem. Moreover, I would recommend to them to put a question mark by each part where they don’t understand.
In order for me to make sure they read the chapter, I will ask them to write a summery of the chapter, and tell me what the important concepts they learned were, and to write any questions they have about the chapter. A professor of mine did this and it helped me understand the concepts more since I had to write them in my own words
Can I just point to Gretchen's post and say, "What she said?"
I love Wilhelm's approach of continually asking, "Does this make sense?" and then following up with the fix it strategies if it doesn't make sense. Like Gretchen, I often find myself lost in a passage and need to reread or seek assistance.
Because these reading strategies come naturally to me, I am often amazed that readers don't know to stop and clarify with things don't make sense. That's why I really like the continual reminder of "Does this make sense?" I have visions of a big sign at the front of my classroom with that question on it. I also really like the checklist on page 100 and plan to use that.
Page 94-- I had trouble with the statement, "They don’t understand that by reading and then accepting, adapting, or rejecting what they have learned…" How can the students feel comfortable taking such a large stance as refuting or supporting a point being presented if they do not have the authority to mange the text in the first place! This made me think about my own reading history—I never liked to read the paper or political pieces. I had very little background knowledge in this area, and felt 1) I wouldn't understand specifically what I was reading, and 2) I wouldn't be able to talk about what I read because I knew too little about it to form my own opinion. My husband would challenge me (he was very into this type of reading), and I couldn't banter back and forth! So, I jumped in, took the uncomfortable beginning step, and now I have built enough background knowledge to both keep reading this way and form opinions, AS WELL AS know what questions to ask to clarify my point! I'm part of the club now, and no longer feel like I'll look dumb when asking about things I don’t understand.
I think I would like to form "interest groups" in my class. The kids can choose their reading within certain guidelines, and then say Johnny was extremely interested in the economic impact of WWII, but Judy was interested in what women did to help the efforts… each presents their prior knowledge before reading, expanding the prior knowledge of the group. Say Bob never was interested in the economic part, THUS he has very little background knowledge because he probably does not choose this subject to read about. Johnny can give him enough to build upon as he reads. They frontload each other and put it in their terms.
Then maybe they could get into their mixed interest groups to monitor their comprehension after reading and to have any confusing parts cleared up.
I thought about adding "asking for help when needed" to a rubric, when on page 101 he talks about the importance of this. It's kind of like adding the listening part to a rubric on speeches. It would encourage them to do so and show that it is, indeed, part of the process.
One of the things I do with my students is share with them my problems with comprehension. Being a returning student and having to read extremely challenging, sometimes boring and varied texts, I find myself in my own students’ shoes. I believe one of the keys to helping students self-monitor their comprehension is by sharing ones own experiences and strategies. How many times have I read a page of text and finished asking myself what have I just read?
If the students will learn first to just be aware of their reading and catch themselves when they are no longer comprehending, stop, reread and question they will improve greatly. Another important strategy to help them would be to teach them to read in context so they can carry through some of the unknown vocabulary focus on the larger themes.
Anonymous said... How to help students’ comprehension
One of the things I do with my students is share with them my problems with comprehension. Being a returning student and having to read extremely challenging, sometimes boring and varied texts, I find myself in my own students’ shoes. I believe one of the keys to helping students self-monitor their comprehension is by sharing ones own experiences and strategies. How many times have I read a page of text and finished asking myself what have I just read?
If the students will learn first to just be aware of their reading and catch themselves when they are no longer comprehending, stop, reread and question they will improve greatly. Another important strategy to help them would be to teach them to read in context so they can carry through some of the unknown vocabulary focus on the larger
7 Comments:
Jacquleine Aessa,
I was not sure where to post this for others, so I am putting this here.
Title: The Man who loved number only by Paul Hoffman
A great online video that is only 53 minutes. Check it out it is really worth watching. The website is http://www.vega.org.uk/video/programme/60
It is actually a lecture by Paul Hoffman ( the author) who talks about his book “The man who loved number only” Paul talks about the great mathematician Paul Erdos.
Paul Erdos was born in 1913. His parents were both math professors. When he was born, both of his older sisters died of a diseas. As a result his mother didn’t let him go out until he was 10 years. Erdos actually taught himself how to read and write and he fell in love with number. In his older ages,
Paul Erdos never got married, or had any other family, he actually never had intimate relationship simply because he didn’t want to waist any time. He dedicated his life to solve math problems and proofs only. It was a friend of Erdos that asked Paul Hoffman to write about Erdos life story. Hoffman followed Erdos for four months and documented his life. The result was his book “The man who loved number only” Hoffman talked about Erdos great work and how he went during his day.
I don’t like watching bibliography, but this one was really worth watching, not for math students only but for any passionate person who loves his/her subject enormously.
Jacqueline aessa
I was not sure where to post this for extra credit, so I am posting it here.
I have just finished a research paper about math anxiety and learning styles. From my result I found that there is no correlation between math anxiety and learning styles. More over I found that most students at a college level are stronger in reading and writing learning style.
If you are interested, send me an email and I will email you a copy of my research. Or if I was told where to post as an attachment on Blog, I will be happy to do it
Title: advising student to monitor their reading.
In math, I would recommend to my students to read their text and underline the statements that are relevant. Also, write examples to the side of the text and to draw as much as possible since the graph can make them visualize the problem. Moreover, I would recommend to them to put a question mark by each part where they don’t understand.
In order for me to make sure they read the chapter, I will ask them to write a summery of the chapter, and tell me what the important concepts they learned were, and to write any questions they have about the chapter. A professor of mine did this and it helped me understand the concepts more since I had to write them in my own words
Can I just point to Gretchen's post and say, "What she said?"
I love Wilhelm's approach of continually asking, "Does this make sense?" and then following up with the fix it strategies if it doesn't make sense. Like Gretchen, I often find myself lost in a passage and need to reread or seek assistance.
Because these reading strategies come naturally to me, I am often amazed that readers don't know to stop and clarify with things don't make sense. That's why I really like the continual reminder of "Does this make sense?" I have visions of a big sign at the front of my classroom with that question on it. I also really like the checklist on page 100 and plan to use that.
Page 94-- I had trouble with the statement, "They don’t understand that by reading and then accepting, adapting, or rejecting what they have learned…" How can the students feel comfortable taking such a large stance as refuting or supporting a point being presented if they do not have the authority to mange the text in the first place! This made me think about my own reading history—I never liked to read the paper or political pieces. I had very little background knowledge in this area, and felt 1) I wouldn't understand specifically what I was reading, and 2) I wouldn't be able to talk about what I read because I knew too little about it to form my own opinion. My husband would challenge me (he was very into this type of reading), and I couldn't banter back and forth! So, I jumped in, took the uncomfortable beginning step, and now I have built enough background knowledge to both keep reading this way and form opinions, AS WELL AS know what questions to ask to clarify my point! I'm part of the club now, and no longer feel like I'll look dumb when asking about things I don’t understand.
I think I would like to form "interest groups" in my class. The kids can choose their reading within certain guidelines, and then say Johnny was extremely interested in the economic impact of WWII, but Judy was interested in what women did to help the efforts… each presents their prior knowledge before reading, expanding the prior knowledge of the group. Say Bob never was interested in the economic part, THUS he has very little background knowledge because he probably does not choose this subject to read about. Johnny can give him enough to build upon as he reads. They frontload each other and put it in their terms.
Then maybe they could get into their mixed interest groups to monitor their comprehension after reading and to have any confusing parts cleared up.
I thought about adding "asking for help when needed" to a rubric, when on page 101 he talks about the importance of this. It's kind of like adding the listening part to a rubric on speeches. It would encourage them to do so and show that it is, indeed, part of the process.
How to help students’ comprehension
One of the things I do with my students is share with them my problems with comprehension. Being a returning student and having to read extremely challenging, sometimes boring and varied texts, I find myself in my own students’ shoes. I believe one of the keys to helping students self-monitor their comprehension is by sharing ones own experiences and strategies. How many times have I read a page of text and finished asking myself what have I just read?
If the students will learn first to just be aware of their reading and catch themselves when they are no longer comprehending, stop, reread and question they will improve greatly. Another important strategy to help them would be to teach them to read in context so they can carry through some of the unknown vocabulary focus on the larger themes.
Anonymous said...
How to help students’ comprehension
One of the things I do with my students is share with them my problems with comprehension. Being a returning student and having to read extremely challenging, sometimes boring and varied texts, I find myself in my own students’ shoes. I believe one of the keys to helping students self-monitor their comprehension is by sharing ones own experiences and strategies. How many times have I read a page of text and finished asking myself what have I just read?
If the students will learn first to just be aware of their reading and catch themselves when they are no longer comprehending, stop, reread and question they will improve greatly. Another important strategy to help them would be to teach them to read in context so they can carry through some of the unknown vocabulary focus on the larger
Post a Comment
<< Home